Temporary Accommodation Tenancy Agreement

Learn more about temporary housing. Temporary accommodation is rented by private owners for two or three years. If we accept a total housing obligation to a household that meets the criteria of the Homelessness Act, we will fulfill that obligation by helping the budget secure a home in the private sector through the Homefinder program. This provides greater flexibility in choosing the area as temporary accommodation If the Council wishes you to leave your temporary accommodation, you must be informed in writing for at least four weeks. Most people who live in temporary Council housing have limited rights. You may therefore be evicted from your home because you have broken your lease, for example because you have not paid your rent or because you are behaving antisocially. Read the pages on evicting short Scottish security tenants, evicting common law tenants and evicting insured short tenants to find out how the Council or your landlord should dislodge you. Rent arrears are if you are late in paying your rent. If you return to airtime with your rent, we will send you a letter informing you of the amount you owe. If you do not pay your rent or arrears, we can take legal action. Legal action can cause you to lose your temporary home. If you are evicted for rent arrears, we will not pay you back.

If you receive a negative decision, accommodation is only available for up to 28 days. You have to make your own agreement to find another accommodation for you. You must report it correctly if you wish to leave your temporary accommodation. If you have a written agreement, check your status. You can have a lease or a license that offers you basic protection against forced eviction. This means that you cannot be evacuated unless the Council gives it to you and gives you a court decision. You can request an assessment if you feel your accommodation is inappropriate or if you are not appropriate. If the Council asks you to leave your temporary accommodation because you have broken a condition of your tenancy agreement but do not offer a stay elsewhere, seek immediate advice. An advisor can tell you what your rights are and help you manage the Council. To report your repairs to a representative of the housing company, you will find the details in the rental information file you received.

If the housing company does not respond or concludes a repair, you should contact us on 020 8379 1000. In some cases, you may be asked to pay for the repair if you, a member of your household or a visitor, caused the problem. This may include blocked wells, broken windows or lost keys. Once the Council has found you as a permanent home, you are no longer allowed to stay in temporary accommodation. Other rules may apply if you live in temporary housing and your landlord is a private landlord or housing company.


Comments are closed.